Wild Boar stew
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
• 1/2 Tsp Salt
• 1/2 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
• 5 big Carrots
• 2 Onions
• 5 Cloves Garlic
• 250 ml Red Wine
• 100 g Smoked Bacon
• 1 Tbsp Caraway Seeds
• 200 g baby tomatoes
• 5 Bay Leaves
• 1 Tbsp Armenian spice mix
• 2 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
• 50 g Butter
Extras can be added: mushrooms, celery, courgettes, aubergines, chickpeas. Serve nicely with mashed potatoes. Enjoy.
1. Cut the boar into a 2-3cm dice.
2. Cut the carrots, leave one for grating.
3. Cut the bacon into 2-3mm thick strips.
4. Slice the garlic cloves as finely as you can.
5. Cut the baby tomatoes into half.
6. Slice onion into little cubes.
Slow Cooker Instructions / over BBQ cast iron pot.
1. Add the butter, carrots & onion.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and fry off the bacon until crispy.
3. Transfer to the bacon to the slow cooker ensuring you keep as much of the fat in the pan as possible.
4. Season the wild boar with salt and pepper and other spices.
5. Brown the meat in the pan in batches and transfer to the slow cooker.
6. Throw in the garlic to the pan and cook for 60 seconds
7. Pour in the red wine.
8. Add the baby tomatoes, caraway seeds, bay leaves.
9. Have a taste and add salt to taste then bring to a boil and add to the slow cooker /iron cast pot.
10. Sprinkle in the paprika and 250ml of cold water.
11. Stir and cook on 180c 45 minutes - 1 hour.
12. Now it is the time to make mashed potatoes.