Ingredients for Wild Boar Rice Pilaf (PLOVAS):
1/3 vegetable oil, or extra light olive oil (not extra virgin)
2 medium onions
2 tsp tomato puree /chutney
3-5 fresh sweet paprika Palm full of cherry tomatoes
1 canned cherry tomatoes
5 medium carrots, cut into thin pieces
1 tsp salt for the meat and veggies
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3-4 bay leaves
1 3/4 cups hot water for braising meat
3 cups long grain rice(Basmati or Jasmine rice work great!) pre wash before
4 cups hot water when cooking rice
1 head of garlic
Fresh basil & coriander (as much as you like).
If you wish to make spicy add chili peppers for some fire. Best to serve with fresh salad or pickled gherkins. Enjoy!
1. Chop bigger pieces of meat into small pieces if needed.
2. In a large frying pan preheat some oil (or you can do it in a big pot over the fire like we did).
3. Peel the onion and chop into small pieces.
4. put the diced meat and fry on bigger than a medium heat until all the pieces are nicely brown.
5. Stir and fry for about 5 minutes over a medium heat until the onions become tender. Stir from time to time.
6. Peel the carrots, thinly chop or grate them using a bigger grater, put in a pan together with onions and wild boar. Stir and fry for about 15 minutes until carrots become tender. Pour in some oil if needed.
7. Peel the garlic cloves, dice/grate them, put in the pan with the meat and fry for a couple of minutes while stirring.
8. Chop the herbs.
9. Add canned cherry tomatoes, fresh sweet paprika and fresh tomatoes.
10. Put the mix from the pan into a large pot (if you already fried in a pot then leave in the same one), season with salt, pepper & the main ingredient Armenian spice mix .Pour in water that it would cover the meat and simmer for ~30 minutes on a medium heat, stir from time to time.
11. Time for the rice. Prewash your rice before adding to the pot. Put rice on the meat, then pour in 500 ml of water, cover the pot with a lid and boil it for 30 minutes. After open, the pot and check if there is a need to pour more water. If the rice absorbed all water, then pour in more. Stew for another 5 minutes. At the end mix the pilaf and taste if you need additional herbs, salt and pepper. Enjoy your meal with fresh salad or the best is with pickled gherkins!